Tuesday, May 29, 2012

How to get a Korean Driver's Licence

<> source: http://www.acerealty.kr/korea/driving/drivers_licence.php
1. Holders on international driver's licence
An international driver's licence is as valid as a Korean driver's licence
during its term of validity.
However, the term of validity is limited to one year, validity but only up to
a maximum of 1 year from the date of entry to Korea. (An International
driver's license can not be converted to a Korean drivers license).
Note : International driver's license can only be renewal in the country of origin. If one would like to obtain an
international driver's license in Korea, one must first obtain a Korean driver's license (howver, other
stipulations apply)

2. Converting a foreign driver's licence into a Korea driver's licence
* Those holding a valid foreign driver's licence issued from an authorized agency (limited to effective licences)
may obtain a Korean driver's licence by taking a physical exam. No matter what the class of the original
license, only class 2 regular licenses (normal passerger vehicle licenses), can be issued in Korea
Note : Driving with a foreign driver's licence only is tantamount to driving without a licence. According to Korean
traffic law, all motor vehicle in Korea must be driven by licensed drivers no matter the class or size (including
motorbikes with engines under 50cc)
* Those holding a driver's license issued from a country that recognizes a Korean driver's license are
exempted from all the tests but a physical exam.
<><> <><> <><> <><> <><>
Afghanistan, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Tonga, Vietnam
Barbados, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Panama, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Uruguay
Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Moldova, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Spain, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, the United Kingdom
East &
Algeria, Angola, Bahrain, Botswana, Burundi, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Cape Verde, Congo, Cote d'lvoire, Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Rwanda, Republic of South Africa, San Tome and Principle, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, the United Arab Emirates, Tunisia, Uganda, Yemen, Zimbabwe
* Those holding a driver's license issued from a country that doesn't recognize a Korean driver's license are
exempted from all the tests but a physical exam and a written test. The written test is available in English,
Chinese and Korean.
3. From 1st June 2006
Foreigners cannot exchange their domestic license into a Korean license unless they are normally resident in
Korea. So, on exchange, you should bring your alien registration card (in case of overseas Korean, domestic
residence report certificate) with your passport and you must surrender your license, which can be returned to
you. For short-term visitors, we recommend you to drive with your international driver's license issued from
your home country. You can drive with your international driver's license for 1 year, from the date of entry to
4. Required Documents and Fees
<><> <><> <><> <><>
1. Original driver's license issued from your home country ( on exchange, you must surrender your license, which can be returned when you leave Korea , when you present your passport and airline ticket )
2. A notarized translation of the driver's license (Must include the license issuance date and the effective period. Licenses written in the English language excepted.)
3. Passport and documents to prove entry/Departure (in order to prevent fraud or forgery, the date on the passport/document must prove that the applicant was present in his/her home country at the time of the issuance of the original license)
4. Alien Registration Card
5. Three 3x4cm color photos
6. Confirmation letter from the embassy of your home country Contents Remarks
FeeSeal of receipt (6,000 won), physical examination (5,000 won)
Other1. The applicant must be a normal resident in Korea. (visitor without Alien Registration Card cannot exchange licenses)
2. Applying by proxy is not allowed . the applicant must apply for the license in person
3. The license must be a full license. (temporary, provisional, probationary, permit, certificate, or motorcycle license cannot be exchanged)
4. If the license was issued from a country other than one's home country then the applicant needs to prove they lived in the issuing country for more than 90 days
* For example, Canadian with US license must prove that he/she has resided in US for more than 90 days through official letter from school or company
<><> <><> <><> <><> <><>
Driver's license test sites in SeoulHow to get there
Gangnam Driver's Licence Test SiteSubway Line 2. Samseong Station(Exit. 1)
Seobu (west) Driver's Licence Test SiteSubway Line 2. Hongik Univ. Station(Exit. 2)
- Green Bus 7016
Gangso Driver's Licence Test SiteSubway Line 5. Songjeong Station(Exit. 4)
- Green Bus 6647
Dobong Driver's Licence Test SiteSubway Line 4. Nowon Station(Exit. 9)
* ARS(Korean) : 1577-1120
5. Acquiring a Korean driver's licence for those who hold no valid licence
(the procedures are the same as for Korean applicants)
* Foreigners of six months or more residence in Korea are qualified to apply.
* Application for and issuance of a Korean driver's licence can be made at the driver's licence test sites.
* Required documents : Passport or an alien registration card and two photos (1.2x1.5 inches)
* To learn driving with the goal of obtaining a Driver's License in Korea, foreigners have to pass 3 step tests :

Step 1.
Ther first test is the Theory test, in which you have to answer 40 multiple-choiced questions. For this test,
you may take it in English. French, German, Japanese or Chinese.
Step 2.
The 2nd test is a Driving test conducted in a circuit-type test route, within the boundaries of a typical driving
schools. this test is typically taken only after you have taken only after you have taken 10 lessons of basic
driving from the school's driving instructor, who usually speaks , and this takes only in Korea.
Step 3.
After passing the first 2 tests, you hae to sit for this final test on the main streets of korea, with a policeman
seated next to you in the passenger seat. Before sitting for the test, you have to have at least 10 hours of
practice driving on a real road in Seoul.
* The test may be taken in English, French, German, Japanese or Chinese.
* The application fee is
- Physical test : 5,000 won
- Written test : 6,000 won
- Technical(Circuit-type)test : 15,000 won
- Road test : 21,000 won
- Safety education : 12,000 won
6. Reissuance of a lost driver's licence
* Reissuance can be made at the driver's licence test sites or at the licence section of the National Police
* The fee is 6,000 won.
* Necessary documents : Passport or an alien registration card and one photo (1.2x1.5 inches)
7. Reporting change in address
When drivers change their place of residence, they should take their driver's licence to their district ("gu") office
or driver's licence test site so that the change can be recorded.


Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring
writers? I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a
paid option? There are so many options out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Appreciate it!

Also visit my weblog: windows xp registry cleaner

Anonymous said...

i went to change my Philippine drivers license today but to my dismay they asked me for authentication from the Phil embassy here in Seoul..when i called up the Phil embassy, they told me that i should get a certification from LTO in the Philippines and bring this to the DFA. she said there is no solution except to go home. how come i have to do this and spend money for transportation back home..also i dont have a phil passport. im already a naturalized korean using a korean ID and passport. i dont know what is the use of the Phil embassy if i have to spend money just to get these things they require me to do...please help..

-feeling miserable

Post a Comment


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More